Close

GJA10 Membrane Protein Introduction

Introduction of GJA10

The gap junction alpha-10 protein (GJA10) is a protein encoded by the GJA10 gene. It is also known as connexin-62 (Cx62). Connexins, such as GJA10, are involved in the formation of gap junctions, the intercellular channels that connect the cytoplasm of cells. Each slit connection channel is formed by the docking of two hemispherical channels, each channel containing six connexin subunits.

Basic Information of GJA10
Protein Name Gap junction alpha-10 protein
Gene Name GJA10
Aliases Connexin-62
Organism Homo sapiens (Human)
UniProt ID Q969M2
Transmembrane Times 4
Length (aa) 543
Sequence MGDWNLLGGILEEVHSHSTIVGKIWLTILFIFRMLVLRVAAEDVWDDEQSAFACNTRQPGCNNICYDDAFPISLIRFWVLQIIFVSSPSLVYMGHALYRLRAFEKDRQRKKSHLRAQMENPDLDLEEQQRIDRELRRLEEQKRIHKVPLKGCLLRTYVLHILTRSVLEVGFMIGQYILYGFQMHPLYKCTQPPCPNAVDCFVSRPTEKTIFMLFMHSIAAISLLLNILEIFHLGIRKIMRTLYKKSSSEGIEDETGPPFHLKKYSVAQQCMICSSLPERISPLQANNQQQVIRVNVPKSKTMWQIPQPRQLEVDPSNGKKDWSEKDQHSGQLHVHSPCPWAGSAGNQHLGQQSDHSSFGLQNTMSQSWLGTTTAPRNCPSFAVGTWEQSQDPEPSGEPLTDLHSHCRDSEGSMRESGVWIDRSRPGSRKASFLSRLLSEKRHLHSDSGSSGSRNSSCLDFPHWENSPSPLPSVTGHRTSMVRQAALPIMELSQELFHSGCFLFPFFLPGVCMYVCVDREADGGGDYLWRDKIIHSIHSVKFNS

Function of GJA10 Membrane Protein (Cx62)

In mammalian retinal horizontal cells, the Gap junction protein, GJA10 plays an important role in horizontal cell coupling, showing a huge gap in mammalian retinal horizontal cells. The GJA10 gene is abundant in mammalian retinal horizontal cells. The largest part of the GJA10 protein is encoded by exon 2 (480 aa, 97.6%) of the GJA10 gene, and the remaining 12 amino acids (2.4%) are encoded by functional splicing during transcription. The intracellular and c-terminal tails show more divergence, while the c-terminal tail i the major determinant of connexin size, ranging from 23-62 kDa. It is quickly realized that in each human organ, connexins are expressed in a tissue-specific manner, and cells always exhibit a variety of connexins31, which can be combined into different hemichannels and form unique Channel with specific permeability characteristics. The diversity of channel permeability between different connectors poses a major challenge to the field, and categorizing cross-selection remains a daunting task.

Fig.1 The structure of connexon and connexin.

Application of GJA10 Membrane Protein in Literature

  1. Shen B., et al. Independent Losses of Visual Perception Genes Gja10 and Rbp3 in Echolocating Bats (Order: Chiroptera). PLoS ONE. 2013, 8: e68867. PubMed ID: 23874796

    These findings reveal alterations in translation initiation as an unexplored mechanism by which the cell regulates Cx43 gap junction formation during EMT.

  2. Söhl G., et al. Expression of Connexin Genes in the Human Retina. BMC Ophthalmology. 2010, 10: 27. PubMed ID: 20979653

    These data suggest that an additional exon of about 25 kb further downstream, coding for 12 amino acid residues, is spliced to the nearly complete reading frame on exon2 of GJA10.

  3. Takeuchi H, Suzumura A. Gap junctions and hemichannels composed of connexins: potential therapeutic targets for neurodegenerative diseases. Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience. 2014, 8:189. PubMed ID: 25228858

    This article suggests that neuronal and glial communication via gap junctions amplifies neuroinflammation and neurodegeneration.

  4. Aasen T., et al. Gap Junctions and Cancer: Communicating for 50 Years. Nature reviews. Cancer. 2016, 16 (12): 775–788. PubMed ID: 27782134

    This paper suggests that, in some tumor types, connexins may facilitate specific stages of tumor progression through both junctional and non-junctional signaling pathways.

  5. Bargiello T.A., et al. Voltage-Dependent Conformational Changes in Connexin Channels. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. 2012, 1818 (8): 1807–1822. PubMed ID: 21978595

    The data provides a set of positional constraints that can be used to model the structure of the loop-gate closed state.

GJA10 Preparation Options

To obtain the soluble and functional target protein, the versatile Magic™ membrane protein production platform in Creative Biolabs enables many flexible options, from which you can always find a better match for your particular project. Aided by our versatile Magic™ anti-membrane protein antibody discovery platform, we also provide customized anti-GJA10 antibody development services.


Creative Biolabs' skillful scientists are glad to leverage our expertise and advanced technologies to help you with the member protein research. If you are interested, please feel free to contact us for more details.

Online Inquiry

Verification code
Click image to refresh the verification code.

CONTACT US

45-1 Ramsey Road, Shirley, NY 11967, USA
Call us at:
USA: 1-631-381-2994
Europe: 44-207-097-1828
Fax: 1-631-207-8356
Email:
Our customer service representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Contact Us